Potato Pancakes in Mediterranean Style does not take too much time to make and is a perfect meal for a quick dinner with a family.
Ingredients (for 4 servings):
- 1 yellow onion
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- ground black pepper for seasoning
- 100ml/3½fl oz Greek Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Potato Pancakes in Mediterranean Style Preparation:
Preparation and cooking time: 45min
- Finely grate potatoes with onion into a large bowl.
- Transfer the potatoes and onion to a fine-mesh strainer; squeeze out all the water into a bowl.
- Let the potato starch settle, then pour out as much water as possible, leaving the starch in the bowl.
- Add the potato-onion mixture to the bowl and mix in the egg, salt, and pepper to taste.
- Add enough flour to make mixture thick, about 2 to 4 tablespoons all together.
- Turn oven to low, about 200 degrees F (95 degrees C).
- Heat olive oil in the bottom of a heavy skillet over medium-high heat.
- Scoop large spoonfuls of the potato mixture into the pan and flatten them out (thin pancakes yield crispy ones).
- Fry until golden on the bottom, then gently flip and fry the other side, 3 to 4 minutes per side.
- Transfer to paper towel lined plates to drain and keep warm in low oven until serving time.
- Repeat until all potato mixture is used.
- If you have to wait to serve, re-crisp them on a baking sheet lined with clean paper towels in a 350 degrees F oven.
Potato Pancakes can be served with Tzadziki – Greek cucumber yoghurt and/or beetroot salad.