This post may contain affiliate links to help the reader find relevant products. We get commissions for purchases made through links. Thanks
Potato Pancakes in Mediterranean Style does not take too much time to make and is a perfect meal for a quick dinner with a family.
Ingredients (for 4 servings):
- 1 yellow onion
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- ground black pepper for seasoning
- 100ml/3½fl oz Greek Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Potato Pancakes in Mediterranean Style Preparation:
Preparation and cooking time: 45min
- Finely grate potatoes with onion into a large bowl.
- Transfer the potatoes and onion to a fine-mesh strainer; squeeze out all the water into a bowl.
- Let the potato starch settle, then pour out as much water as possible, leaving the starch in the bowl.
- Add the potato-onion mixture to the bowl and mix in the egg, salt, and pepper to taste.
- Add enough flour to make the mixture thick, about 2 to 4 tablespoons all together.
- Turn oven to low, about 200 degrees F (95 degrees C).
- Heat olive oil in the bottom of a heavy skillet over medium-high heat.
- Scoop large spoonfuls of the potato mixture into the pan and flatten them out (thin pancakes yield crispy ones).
- Fry until golden on the bottom, then gently flip and fry the other side, 3 to 4 minutes per side.
- Transfer to paper towel-lined plates to drain and keep warm in a low oven until serving time.
- Repeat until all potato mixture is used.
- If you have to wait to serve, re-crisp them on a baking sheet lined with clean paper towels in a 350 degrees F oven.
Potato Pancakes can be served with Tzatziki – Greek cucumber yogurt and/or beetroot salad.